Hey everyone! I hope you’re all having a great year. 🙂 I have been pondering on creating a beauty resolutions list for a while now, but didn’t want to post anything on the 1st, just for the sake of posting on the first day of the year, so I took some time and wrote down some of the things I want to achieve this year, at least in the spectrum of beauty. I’ve made similar lists and goals for my reading, which you can read here, and for life in general, which you can find here.
Similarly, I have a goal for beauty and makeup, since it comprised a big chunk of my life (and finances) last year. I went on a fairly long no buy (and proceeded to break it, lol) from May to December, but it still wasn’t enough. I think you really have to personally come to a point where you realize that enough is enough. Until that happens, no-buys won’t work out.
In any case, here is what I came up with for beauty goals and resolutions. I’m going into it with the RIGOR OF SHERLOCK HOLMES.
- Project Pan — a failed project on my end because the items I set aside for maximum use turned out to be items I set aside for no use at all. I will be making up my own rules/parameters for this, so maybe stay tuned for that.
- Makeup Inventory — I will be keeping an updated makeup inventory (help me, Lawdddd)
so I can be shamed into keeping that credit card inside my wallet. Even though I have all the information memorized. Yes, even the credit card number.
- Spend Sheet — I’ll be tracking all of my beauty (as well as non-beauty purchases) this year, and I hope that it carries on all throughout. This is great to provide perspective on consumerist habits and my lack of financial responsibility, lol.
- Focus on health and skin care — I consider this a beauty resolution! I’ve worked out twice this year so far, and have been monitoring my food intake. I also resolve to drink more water and cut back on coffee and sweets.
- Be more adventurous! — Gurl, colored eyeshadow you bought shouldn’t just be for swatching, ooh-ing and ahh-ing! Start wearing those colors.
- Purge, purge, purge — I distinctly remember Kate of Drivel About Frivol having a “one in, one out” rule for products she has that are similar. (I found a detailed post of hers here.) I think this is a great method to try, if you’re on the makeup warpath/purge like me.
- Unsubscribe from Devil Emails — I got this tip from Caroline Hirons‘ 2014 organizational post. She suggested the site, unroll.me, and I managed 286 subscriptions (!) and got rid of a lot.
- Continue my CF journey — some time this year, I dedicated myself to a more CF-friendly direction, but I do slip every once in a while. I’m making more of an effort to eliminate animal tested products (and products with animal tested ingredients) this year.
- Explore independent and local cosmetic brands — I’ve been having a ton of fun getting to know brands like Shiro Cosmetics and Oslo Cosmetics. Would love to support more home-run businesses.
- Press pigments and depot bulky cosmetics — I gots a plan! And I’m rill, rill excited for it.
- Have fun and don’t sweat it — at the end of the day, it’s just makeup, ya goof!
That’s that! I notice that most of the resolutions I’ve drawn up are related to consumption and purchases, but I feel like that’s something I want to take focus away from, so that I use up more makeup than I buy. I’ve always had this odd habit of over-purchasing. Prior to makeup, it was books, then 35mm films and cameras, and so on. I guess we all have to find an outlet… but no more!
I was scanning Makeup Talk’s thread on 2014 beauty resolutions and this one girl combined her goal of weight loss and trimming down her stash, so she got the idea to “pay” herself $5 per hour of working out, to be spent on makeup things. I think that’s a pretty interesting direction.
I’m actually pretty excited about this coming year. 🙂 Is this the familiar feeling of maturity I sense? Just kidding, I think I’m pretty immature for my age, but what can you do about that except try and fix it.
Do you have any beauty resolutions? I’d love to read about it. If you blog, leave a link to your post, and if you don’t, feel free to share in the comments below. 🙂