This product’s name is a mouthful, first of all. I got the Maybelline Clear Smooth All in One Shine-Free Cake Powder* from a BDJ Box last month, and I got the color Sand Beige, which is a pretty great match for me (at least, my skin-tone pre-beach tan). It might look a little off in the finger-swatch below…
… but it blends out quite nicely:
The texture is pretty nice, I have no real complaints. I don’t use these types of powders usually, since my skin is pretty dry and just occasionally oily. Maybelline had a lot of claims for this product, including the following:
- Shine Control — blend of water and sebum repellent powders keep skin matte and wonderfully fresh throughout the wear.
- High UV Protection — SPF 25, among the highest in sun protection shields from skin darkening and PA++ for added protection
- Instant Brightening — Infused with pro Vitamin C, it instantly makes skin look brighter and more natural
- Imperfections Blends Away — Ultra fine powders and coated pigments effortlessly cover spots for fair & even skin
- Long Lasting — Breathable and lightweight, make up stays true and even throughout the wear
- Visibly smooth complexion — Silky soft texture glides to visibly even out skin’s surface for a smooth application
- Conceal Blemishes — Blemishes are instantly concealed traceless. Skin looks flawless.
- Tone Perfecting — Developed for Asian skin tone, each shade blends effortlessly all over for a natural non-cakey finish.
Of these claims, I find only a few to be true, namely: Instant Brightening, Imperfections Blend Away, Visibly Smooth Complexion, Conceal Blemishes (though I don’t have very big spots), and Tone Perfecting. I have no way of knowing if it really has SPF, but let’s assume that it does. It’s decent at Shine Control, but it’s not that Long Lasting. I think that’s a pretty good percentage of pros!
Here I am wearing just the powder as a base. I think it’s quite nice. 🙂 It’s a really natural finish, while still providing ample coverage for spots and redness. I don’t have terrible skin, but I can use this alone for a quick base, even on my mostly dry skin. The SPF is an added plus!
The packaging is alright. It’s a pretty lightweight plastic and not attractive, but it’s functional and acceptable. It fits into my palm and has a decent-sized mirror and a sponge. 🙂 I really like how it’s easy to bring around everywhere since it’s so thin and small. I think you can purchase a refill as well!
All in all, I think this is a great budget buy if you’re on the look-out for a powder compact that you can use for touch-ups throughout the day.
* This item was provided for me, free of charge. I was not required to write or compensated for this review.
Maybelline is not cruelty-free.